Thursday, May 8, 2008

Even my plants drink coffee

I have a secret to share. Something delightful and delicious and perfect for summer. In fact, you can do so much with it, the possibilities are endless!

I am talking about homemade coffee coolattes! YES! BETTER THAN STARBUCKS!

A few years ago, I was introduced to this delicious drink as a “treat”. It was served in a small glass with some ice. I took one sip and WOW! These days, I find the largest cup that I can, drop a dainty amount of ice inside and pour a quart of coffee coolattes into my cup. And today is your lucky day because I will share with you how to make this wonderful, addictive treat.

First – invest in a Toddy Maker. You can order them online, I bought mine at a Barney’s. They are about $35 + tax.

Purchase 1lb of your favorite coffee. I should tell you that I use 1lb of Vanilla Hazelnut. It has been that way since the beginning and for fear that nothing will ever taste as good as the first cup that I had, I never get anything else. My nanny, who I am so sorry never drank coffee before she started working for me and now is addicted to both coffee coolattes AND Starbuck’s, has one of her own (Happy Birthday!) and experiments with lots of different flavors. Last I heard she used a Swiss Chocolate flavored coffee.

The directions for this drink also appear on the manual that comes with the Toddy Maker, not sure if it tells you to add the vanilla or not…so here goes:

14 oz coffee concentrate
1T of vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
Milk. I use 2% because that is what is in our house

I am talking YUMMY! In fact – and don’t tell the Mother of the Year Board…but my boys love this stuff! They say “SIP SIP SIP!” Sometimes, I will pour a little in their milk and they get all smiley and stuff and talk about drinking “coppee” because they don’t pronounce their f’s.

The leftover grounds can be added to your garden. I can only imagine what it will do to my Basil and peppers.

So there it is…my summer secret…delicious treat to start off the morning. In fact, I think I will go downstairs and get my 2nd cup!

~ Coppee Mom

No comments: